Warning: This post is NOT in reference to my friends. It is simply an observation of the public at-large.
Let’s discuss TMI – TOO MUCH INFORMATION. I must have a face that says “Please, please, tell me your deepest, darkest secrets” because I fall victim to TMI more times than I can count. I catch it more often than strepp throat. I blame texting and IM’ing. I think people are less “face time” connected and feel it is easier to share it all via text and IM. I don’t need to hear about your rashes, your allergies, your midnight escapades, your cramping (yes, it is okay to share amongst the closest of friends…..), your intestinal issues; the list goes on and on.
Be kind to your neighbor; don’t share too much! Be selective on what information you share and with whom you share information. Once words are said/typed, images come to mind. These images are then forever emblazoned upon the brain to then pop up at the most unwanted and inappropriate times! If I don’t know you well, I really don’t want to hear about skin conditions or diseases or how unkempt your pool is or therapy experiences. And, even though this seems unrelated, public scratching falls into my definition of TMI. I don’t want to see you scratching!! Get some lotion or something………
I blame Oprah. We all feel empowered to share everything now and that’s not always a good thing. As in creative writing: KNOW YOUR AUDIENCE. Compose yourself and control yourself on the sharing. TMI can be harmful to the receiver.
*As a note to the 'emblazoned on the brain' part, I don't need your icky images in my brain cells IF/WHEN my brain is played back to me in Heaven. I have this feeling (call it memories of cartoons as a kid or all those chain emails over the years) that on my day of judgement, God [or St. Peter] will replay all of my actions and I'll be held accountable for said actions. I sure don't need any more negative baggage in my brain!
No comments:
Post a Comment