Thursday, August 26, 2010

Cell Phone Usage

Let's take a moment and ponder the use of cell phones while walking pets (yes, I will use 'pets' because some people walk other critters than just dogs) and/or walking the family. It is bad enough to see a family at a restaurant with fingers and thumbs all a go-go, but during outside activities!! I really have seen it all. The point of getting outside is to RELAX, DE-STRESS, RECONNECT, DISCONNECT THE BRAIN. Talking and texting on the cell phone does none of these. Look, I am not saying you have to join Oprah's No Phone Zone (BTW, has anyone researched how many people have signed her 'contracts' over the years and the success/follow-thru rate? Might make for a good PhD study) club but it is important to not be connected 24 x 7.

A few weeks ago, I left my phone charger at the office. My phone battery ran out and the phone was OFF for over 48 hours. I could have driven the seven miles to the office to get the charger, but decided against it. And unlike so many people, I only have 1 charger. I really enjoyed not being at everyone's beck and call! It was a nice break. I was not interrupted during reading time, walking time, TV time or nap time. It was wonderful. Try it sometime.

For those of you who text and chat while exercising or strolling with the pets/family, you might rethink that pattern. Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment