Thursday, August 26, 2010

Totally Committed

I have a very good argument as to why I need to stop eating fast food. Never mind that my huge belly and butt and thighs are poster children for “no more drive-thru!!” , and Morgan’s wonderfully insightful ‘Supersize Me’ was quite compelling. The real kicker is the drive-thru lines. Too much time in the line; wasting gas, wear and tear on my car, scrambling for loose change that always slips out of my fingers just as I pull up to the window. But the worst is the morning hunt for food that leads to the LONG lines at the drive-thru window. I finally experienced the worst morning line ever and it really must be the end-all of the fast food pursuit.
The golden arches spot is renown for its cuisine and speediness (and the fact that they really do have the best soft drinks in the industry, hands down). With the full moon, I guess the stars aligned to attack not one, but all three of the registers in the drive-thru. None of us innocently jamming to the morning radio (XM Radio ROCKS!) and contemplating which gourmet items to order and which drink to pair with it had a clue that the normal 4 minutes would stretch into 15! Yes, it took 8 cars over 15 minutes to get through the drive-thru! This just added to my stress level since I was trying so very hard to get to work as quickly as possible to put in my hours in order to leave at a decent time!! Who would have thunk it?? Bless the interior staff – they were ringing up inside and outside orders and even the order boards were not working. The window dude (who looks like he should be playing baseball) yelled the order out to the register dude and chicky food bagger. It was quite interesting and reminded me of the old SNL skit of “cheeseburger, cheeseburger, Pepsi!” John B and Dan A routine. But once committed, what can you do? You are sandwiched into that drive-thru line. There is no exit plan. You just have to play Sardine and stay where you are…….so you might as well order while you’re there!
So, I had to work later than I wanted. So much for cooking from scratch tonight! But no drive-thru food. Gotta stay out of those lines!

After-Note: I cooked from scratch three nights in a row!!

No comments:

Post a Comment